Location of Preservation: Hsinchu Research Station
Contributor: Mr. Shan-Lan Lee
Taiwan Livestock Research Institute
Republic of China
Semen Collection, Examination
- Semen was collected by artificial vagina.
Ejaculation volume averages 2.6 +/- 1.5 ml; concentration of sperm averages 2.1 +/- 0.9 109/ml.
- Semen was packaged in 0.5 ml straw, cooling
semen straw above the liquid nitrogen.
- Examination of semen quality by the
transemembrane migration ratio method. The specimen of semen was cultured in 37 C water bath for three hours. If over
30% of sperm swim
through the membrance, the quality is good.
- Using U-shape tube for isolation and
purification of bacteria-free sperm.
- Comparison on bacteria growth culture between
fresh semen (right culture) and U-shape tube treated semen (left culture).
- Electromicroscopic view on fresh semen, there
is a diploccocci bacterium attached on spermatozoa (TEM, 6000X). With U-shape tube
treatment, sperm is free of bacteria.